All Over 2a23 - my five favourite blogposts this year

Few people will look back at 2023 and think, "ah yes, this year was great!" If I'm wrong, then please correct me. However, as has been the case for me for the past few years, I don't know for sure if I'll be reminiscing about this year. Then again, I did think it was going to go much worse than it actually did, so maybe it's been a success?

But I'd call it a bit average. That is if I'm not mentioning the blog, which actually is something I will look back on fondly from 2023 - and that's because I think I did a very good job this year. Again, if I'm wrong, then please correct me. What started as a hobby, taking influence from my favourite blogs whilst also being a place to publish my poems, has largely stayed that way. However, it's also become something that I can use to improve my writing, whilst being an excuse to visit ever more obscure South London places and to ask teachers for books to read on certain topics. Next year, I'll understand them and write better blogposts, I'm sure.

Now I'll write about five blogposts that I liked the most - I'll try to include a range of topic areas to write about so as not to write about the fifth time when I visited the Wandle. Here goes:

 It took far too long to chronicle the few ups and countless downs in the HS2 story. And now that the northern leg's been cancelled, I feel even more disappointed that that write up was ultimately for no real cause - the issues observed weren't ever really managed, the possible benefits never realised, all instead consigned to policy papers and websites after one decision.

Still, it was very fun writing it, and after noticing just how long it took me to write the post, I realised how dedicated I had become to the cause of the blog. And it was only early days.

Ancient Thira

I went to Greece and Italy on holiday this year, and the most interesting place I saw had to be the ancient settlement at the top of a hill in Santorini. From a distance it was rather daunting, but after climbing it, you actually got a rather stunning view and history that has been maintained for many years. Why it became a tourist attraction I wouldn't know, but the actual journey coupled with the ability to write about it is why it's one of my favourite blogposts of this year. It's not necessarily my best write up, but I enjoyed the experience which I think is necessary at the end of the day.

Few places in London surprised and fascinated me like this park. It's hardly tucked away in some obscure corner, of course, but the history and nature within the area made the experience very enjoyable. And then I went on to write the blogpost, which I think is one of the better ones I've written, and hopefully you take a look at it, or - even better - see the park beyond a screen.

River Wandle passing through Morden Hall Park

What started as a joke suggestion by my friend became the beginning of my chemistry blogposts. I do hope that they could be used as proof that I want to study chemistry...but other than that, it was really fun and strangely eye-opening to see just how interesting ammonia is.

I think this is the best music review I've written. I don't know why - but it was fun writing it up. Listening to the album was the best part, of course. 

I hope everyone has an enjoyable 2024 - maybe it will be more memorable than this year! And thank you to everyone who has read this blog; I hope you keep supporting All Over 2a for months to come!

Comments