Miniblog - This is the End

When December comes around, it's almost like people and companies want the year to end already. Yes, the month may be unbearably cold, the days uncomfortably dark and the mood rather gloomy, but I think December's too underappreaciated.

For example, Spotify's annual Wrapped feature should chronicle your music habits throughout the whole year. But it doesn't - it only goes up to November. My phone gave me a yearly review of my photos this week - but there's an entire month still to go. 

Christmas is looming. The big shops have already released their ads, trying to get you to buy that teddy bear for £20. Who knows - maybe your child will love it. And yet it will all be over soon, and we'll have moved onto looking at New Years - and then 2024 has arrived. 

Yet even after Christmas, the supermarkets will stock their Easter eggs and Valentines cards - Cadbury must be waiting impatiently for that day. And all this will happen during December, which is more like a massive 31-day countdown for the end of the year. 

The focus is always on the year that's ending, and never the month itself. I think we should all pay more attention to December - it only happens once each year, and for such a beautiful month, we shouldn't leave it out in the cold.

Yes, I'm aware Spotify Wrapped couldn't possibly go on right up to the final day, and I know that advertising exists for you to buy products. Let me mutter once in a while.

Comments