A Poem I Wrote - Half the Time at Twice the Speed

Half the Time at Twice the Speed


1.


Another shot on our streets, cameras

at the wine-stained sky. Another unchanged day.


Keep this curse locked up, I breathe, this

vaccine will not hurt, can’t hurt, this is


that step. Close your eyes, and you might fly.


2.


The equal intervals. You are not thinking,

not needed. The ills will fade, 


there’ll be a solution. You’ll be it.

Little fishing boat, cracked by starlit sea,


like a hamster spinning without end. Lights out,

take your seat, the show will soon start.


3.


Children come free! Families are discounted!

Feel your heart rise as the glimpse strikes


(forget it’s crushed like a painkiller).


4.


I became the spotlight, the promoted extra.

This brief spark I called life,


grinning as it crushed the enemy - 

the demon that gnawed at me, stole everything


I knew. I never thought this through,

realised I was standing to be stranded,


the light was too appealing. Now it’s gone,

and the earth’s become dust.


Take a step, and maybe fly.

Comments