The Art of Procrastination

Every day after school, I tell myself I will revise. That never happens, and maybe I should be ashamed of that - after all, it's not like six hours a day, five days a week, thirty-nine weeks a year will be sufficient come the final exams. After that, sure, relax all you want - listen to all the New Order you want, walk around all the greens that exist - maybe even stay in bed a bit longer. But for now, I should revise.

Yet it's not so simple. I think that those six hours a day will be sufficient, but loads of people say otherwise. Of course I won't master those exams now, that's why I'll get to work when the deadline is looming. Before then, one more minute writing, that will not snowball into something excessive. 

Even then, it's easy to take the simple way out, to extend the smallest amount of energy possible. There's no deadline, after all, take your time, you can always pick up that skill in the future, even if that's future's going to be in ten minutes...

Always getting closer to that arbitrary target, soon I'll pass that target. In my mind I have, and of course I'll need to do so in reality. Just another page on parametric equations, that will do, but only a page. I've just had two hours on it in school, so maybe I'll do some more in the future...? The final exams are a mile away, after all, and I'm hardly going motorway speed (more M25 speed)...

It's not just exams, of course - to master an art, you've got to practice it all the time. Yes, that photo was good, I can come back to it in a moment, first there's something else I might do... After all, the blogpost will be published in two days, not this second...take your time, take it like you would an ancient artefact - you wouldn't want to hand it back broken.

Yes, every second is valuable, but that doesn't mean I need to study right now. Different things are valuable to different people, and I've just spent two hours studying. I don't need to be interrogated by someone at the end of it, it will all be sorted out eventually.

But that's obviously not the case in the workplace. The binmen can't just let the rubbish accumulate to go and relax, people would be furious. Nevermind the fact they've never worked in waste removal, they don't know what the job is actually like. Procrastination is selective in a way - some can become supreme artists in it, some have to leave it to another time, they'll learn it eventually...

Then again, why should I worry? This world is hardly as bad as some claim it to be. Well, that depends on where you live of course - south London is no war zone. So why should I be so concerned with those valuable seconds that pile up - not all of them need to be spent studying...

I'll continue writing soon - I just need to go and

Comments