The Joys Of...Windows Accessories

I'm stubborn when it comes to moving to Windows 11. It's been a few years now and despite all the times my computer has tried to get me to move, I've ignored their messages. 

Your computer can run Windows 11, it will say. They might even put a banner in Windows Update, thinking that will attract me. But that hasn't worked so far. 

I use Windows 10, if anything. It will lose support from Microsoft in eighteen months time, and whilst that doesn't mean my computer will become a perfect petri dish for viruses, it does mean I might change after all. But before I install a Linux distro, I may as well enjoy what I have now. And that's the Windows Accessories folder.

It's hidden away on the Start menu, a mysterious folder alongside others like "Windows System" and "Ease of Access". Most probably have all their required applications on their homescreen - hell, most probably use a phone or tablet nowadays so have everything there by default - so I can't imagine the total users of "Accessories" is all that high. But it's great, and I'll tell you why:

  • Character Map: Every single Unicode character in a neat array - includes Greek and Cyrillic, so you don't even need a different keyboard. And yes, Blogger allows me to insert special symbols, and so does Word, and Google Docs, but can you select different characters with different fonts, all hoping you choose them? I thought so.
  • Internet Explorer: Yes, it no longer works - it redirects me to Microsoft Edge - it's a laughing stock amongst browsers, and when it did work it was horrendously dated. Perhaps the least useful aspect of the folder.
  • Math Input Panel: American spelling aside, this is brilliant. You can write equations manually! And they can be translated into neat mathematical symbols! I use it all the time for my maths blogposts, and it's probably the main thing keeping me on Windows 10.
  • Notepad: Simple and effective. Does the job well, and yes it looks quite outdated, but it's basically been unchanged for forty years now. I even used it once to create an HTML website for a school project, which I reckon isn't on the web. And apparently it's worse on Win11, what with it now including tabs, so it's far more complex than I remember it being.
  • Paint: Also unchanged for nearly forty years. It's quite a nice program to use to save photos, or even make a quick mockup of a table and paste in. I spent so many hours years ago just doodling on Paint (yes, I doodled on paper too), it can be relaxing.
  • Quick Assist: Apparently it can be used to solve issues with your PC without an internet connection. I wouldn't know, I've never used it before.
  • Remote Desktop Connection: I'm sure it's useful, it seems to be used to connect to another computer. I've also never used it.
  • Snipping Tool: I'm surprised it doesn't redirect to Snip and Sketch yet. It's very useful, though, for screen grabs, when print screen fails. Another classic program hidden from view.
  • Steps Recorder: You can record your screen. I'm surprised I've not used it more often, though Microsoft claim it should be used for troubleshooting (a common thread I'm seeing here is lots of the accessories help you fix your PC).
  • Windows Fax and Scan: Self-explanatory. Fewer people send messages by faxes nowadays, though (I was surprised to see one business advertise its fax number), and it's personally irrelevant to me.
  • Windows Media Player: The tracks included with the player were great - they stopped including them for some reason. Has probably got less used over time too, what with online content.
  • Wordpad: Very useful in the days of not having Word, but once you have Word, it's destined to never be used again - a very basic word processor, without the flexibility of Word.

That's about 5/12 programs which I often use, which, for a folder tucked away in the Start menu, is quite good going. On older operating systems, other programs like Clock and Calculator would have been included, though they're separate on Windows 10.

And it turns out that on Windows 11, there are no more accessories...they're Windows Tools, with only a few of the accessories still there and mostly consisting of admin programs (like Run). Notepad and Paint seem to still exist, whilst Math Input Panel seems to be the only one fully killed off with no replacement. And I reckon you can find those tools in the start menu, which is by default in the centre of the screen on Windows 11...

And that's another reason why I don't think I'll switch to Windows 11. It seems almost tablet-like, as if they want me to use a stylus with it. And 10 just looks cleaner. And there's Math Input Panel.

Comments