My Owl Collection

It started out as a nice idea for a souvenir, yet has somehow escalated to an entire colony residing in my bedroom. Currently I have fifteen owls on my bedroom shelf, all ornately decorated and ranging in expression and looks. Every holiday is an attempt to try and get a new owl, indeed I'm not sure why every souvenir shop seems to sell owl figurines.

Owls 1-9

Some of the owls declare where they're from - one holds a scroll with Madrid written on it, another has Tenerife emblazoned across its body - but the rest are otherwise unidentifiable. I'm also not entirely sure whether my mum could identify where each owl is from, either, so the owls are now less souvenirs, more a group of collectables that watch over my bed. Indeed, all I have to do to see them is look up from my computer.

The owl with a witchy hat is quite adorable, holding its wings as if in a "hear no evil" pose; often the owls will come in a set, and I reckon this one was part of that set. The largest owl, meanwhile, is by far the most elaborate one, decked out in beads and mosaic-like patterns, though its back is devoid of this (likely because no one buys an owl to look at its back). This owl's similar in size to the blandest of all, a blue ornamental piece bought from some shop. It's the outlier, admittedly, the most exotic place it's lived in being the maufacturing plant. 

Owls 10-15 

They'll likely stay on their perch for a while longer, as my mum always insists on buying a new owl even if I don't necessarily want one. They're not forced on me, though it has got to the point where space is minimal and certain owls are hidden behind another, like a ceramic schoolchildren photo. Either way, I'll happily keep my room an owl sanctuary for the time being; if I have to, I'll find more space.

Admittedly the owls are some of the few holiday memorabilia that I leave in my room for all to see - I'm not really one for souvenirs, the photos that I take and now the blogposts I suppose are good enough for me. I think that many are a bit too expensive and clutter up the small space I already have, and it's not worth leaving them in a drawer. I could mention my flag collection, for example, most of which are lying around somewhere, as proof of that. 

Perhaps the shelf could be cleared, but the owls give my room some bizarre charm which I don't think I can get rid of any time soon.

Comments

Post a Comment