Holiblog 3 - Bars

As someone who lives in the UK, I'm very used to seeing a pub everywhere I go. Abroad, however, pubs are few and far between - instead, there are loads of bars around. Sure, they're basically the same thing, but the culture is slightly different.

I've been watching the World Cup semi-finals at one bar in particular. It's quite nice getting to watch the match in decent warm weather, with the occasional pint here and there. Whilst I don't think the games have been any good - okay, England beating France 6-4 was amazing - it's still been a pretty cool experience for me. I don't tend to go drinking that often, same for my friends, so this has been my first real opportunity.

I'm currently watching the World Cup final. They're about to have the half-time show, which I consider to be a stain on what football's meant to be about. I assume writing this post is my way of sticking two fingers up at FIFA, if they care about things other than money. 

The best thing about the final, though, is being in the bar. I'm rooting for Spain, not for any particular reason, so the swathes of Argentina fans in the bar amuses me. However, when Argentina have had a chance, hearing them cheer makes up for it; it's a far more fun experience than being stuck at home and watching the game on TV with uninspiring commentary.

I should go to the pub more often. Not to drink, but for the community. Going abroad has made me realise how fun it can be. 

Comments