For the first time ever, I've received a marketing email. Somehow, I'm not treating this as the big deal it really is. I'll also not be taking it up; if you sent the email, sorry for that, but I hope this post will help explain my point of view.
The email in question asked me to link their website over here, and in return, they'd link mine. That was all they asked for, nothing more. This is probably the kind of marketing email I'd want to receive - the kind which doesn't ask much of me, rather subtly prods me towards giving someone a shoutout.
However, I can't really give them what they want for three reasons:
- It would feel wrong to advertise a website over here that isn't a blog I enjoy reading. Hell, I even spoke out against advertising a few years ago, so it would even feel hypocritical in a way.
- It would set a precedent that I'm willing to portion off parts of my homepage to others. Who knows where the marketing emails could go from here?
- It would be out of character for the blog to do something like this. At most, I might mention a blog or website in the odd post, that's all.
Don't take this as a sign I hate your website, marketing emailer. However, I can't really go ahead with it for those reasons. Glad you enjoy my posts, though.
Comments
Post a Comment