Millwall - West Ham United

Pre-match thoughts (context and analysis)

It's been a turbulent few weeks for Millwall. We've played seven matches: won three, drew one, lost three. We've seen the highs (beating Norwich 3-0 and Bolton 4-0) and the lows (losing 5-1 to Southampton and 3-0 to Wrexham). To add insult to injury, we've had as many as eleven players out with injuries at one point, and we're only in September. It's been quite the ride, and I'm feeling nauseous. 

The good thing is after our next game, kicking off in about half an hour, we'll have three weeks off, thanks to an extended international break. That's more than enough time to plan ahead, hope the injury list gets shorter, and kick on for the rest of the season. The bad thing is that game is against top of the table West Ham.

We've got quite the history with our neighbours up in Stratford. Back when Millwall and West Ham started out, we were far closer to each other - we were in the Isle of Dogs, they were down in Canning Town - with supporters working for rival dockyards. It's said that Millwall fans disobeyed the 1926 General Strike, continuing to work whilst West Ham fans headed to the picket line. That's not true, by the way, not even in the slightest. There were no rival dockyards in 1926. But the claim lives on, one hundred years later.

That's before you throw hooliganism into the mix, with various brawls between opposing firms, sometimes leading to the deaths of innocent supporters. The Upton Park riot of 2009 resulted in a pitch invasion and one Millwall fan being stabbed, for example; since then, the Met Police have always been weary of a match-up between the two sides. However, it's never been that likely Millwall would face West Ham, not for a while at least.

That is, until last season, when West Ham were relegated. I have to admit they're a pretty good side. They've managed to keep a good chunk of their players, some of whom are far too good for the Championship. They've won their past four matches, and sit top of the league. We're only four points behind them, admittedly, but I fear this game might be a foregone conclusion.

Either way, I'll be there. I managed to buy a ticket, albeit I needed to be quick to do so. Tickets were on sale three weeks in advance, for crying out loud - everyone wanted one. I was refreshing my page as soon as they were on sale, and managed to secure one within five minutes. Not long after, they were already sold out. Guess that means I've got to turn up, either way - this could very much be a once in a lifetime opportunity to beat the bastards. 

Come back here later for post-match thoughts.

Comments