Word Counts on this Blog

My most recent blogpost on Croydon parks and ponds turned out to be the second longest blogpost on All Over 2a so far, with over 1,400 words. It's not too distant from the longest - only sixty words off of my piece on football rankings - but it's thousands of words greater than my shortest so far, which happened to be my second blogpost, that is my poem Crashwaves (at 24 words).

Here's a graph to compare all my blogposts:

Graph of blogpost word counts over time 

My blogposts are overall trending upwards in verbosity, which I suppose is a nice thing. Obviously there does need to be a balance between content and being concise, and I hope I'm achieving that here. About a fifth off all my blogposts are above 1,000 words, though, with most of them being very recent, barring a few anomalies here and there. But I don't usually break 1,200 words - if I do, it's likely because I've written about a lot of different concepts (like the Croydon parks) or because I'm rather passionate on a topic (such as my blogpost The Football Gulf). 

Obviously, however, I'm not immune to writing short blogposts, as my miniblogs have shown, but sometimes they're packaged together (like in my blogpost on snow), so the word count goes even higher up on one blogpost. Still, that graph is rather pleasant to look at. And just out of interest, the standard deviation is about 398 words.

The most average blogpost by word count, by the way, is my review of Portishead's album Third. It came in at about 567 words, just two off the average of 569. Yet even then that blogpost wasn't the median post, which just goes to show how much I have been writing.

I'll leave it there, just to go against the trend.

Comments