Blogs I've Found

I've already admitted to not reading that many blogs, which is perhaps a flaw of mine. However, I do read blogs, and occasionally I'll find some blogs which I think are quite good and I might become a regular reader. Here are some of them:

Mentioned in One Year anniversary post

Diamond Geezer

Atila's Student Blog

Deyan's Wild Adventures

Bus and Train User

Blogs I could have mentioned but didn't

Inside Croydon - less a blog, more an online newspaper about Croydon, but the articles often discuss places only blogs would ever write about. And it started as a blog.

Blue Witch - I found this one from Diamond Geezer's blogroll, some of the posts are interesting but I'm annoyed that the archive doesn't work anymore.

London buses one at a time - I found this blog after watching a video on three women who opted to travel around London on every bus route. The writeups were fascinating and may have made a younger me think "I could do something similar". They were going to do all the routes again, but Covid struck and they've not published anything in the four years since :(

Epsilon - another one of my friends writes a blog but has only published two posts, both critical of A Level Maths. Too soon?

Hidden London - I'm not sure if I can classify it as a blog per se, but I will regardless - it's very insightful and examines more unique parts of London such as estates that are more interesting than you may assume.

Bearblogs - as in, the platform

Dostoynikov - thanks to Atila's blog, I found this gem, written by someone who's discussed "meeting people on different frequencies", which I can relate to, and who seems to be going to every country (I like his writeups on Estonia). It's a nice blog which you should definitely read.

-b - this one's written by a person who's called All Over 2a, apparently they like post punk and are a Blogger migrant. Their views on Gareth Southgate are rather suspect.

Forking Mad - I found this one recently, almost by accident, but I can't wait to read more of it!

Most of Bearblog fits into this category because the Discovery tab can throw up interesting posts once in a while - it's easier than with Blogger, which has changed a lot since it started in 1999. For one, Blogger doesn't even have a homepage; when I type in its URL, I'm directed to my blog portal.

The occasional search

Hopping all over the World - I was originally going to write a blogpost on blogs with "All Over" in their title, and I found this one. It aims to visit every football stadium in England, hence the Status Quo reference (I'm assuming), and I can't wait to read the entries on Millwall etc.

Stroud Is All Over the Place - I found this one through egotistical means, as in trying to find out whether my blog was indexed or not. Oftentimes Google found this blog instead, and last time I checked it out, the most recent posts were on recipes. There have been posts on London and I assume quite a few on Stroud as well. Show them some love!

The Dumbing of America, primarily for the Mark Burgess interview, but it can be an interesting read at times. Unfortunately they migrated, so the posts they published on Wordpress are as new as 2009 (why did they have to migrate before interviewing Peter Hook, I despair).

Medialoper - I read some of their song reviews a while back, including their views on songs by New Order. It was nice to see how we sometimes differ but usually come to the conclusion that New Order are great.

Mark's Blog - it's a Millwall blog and is quite good.

Other interesting links which aren't blogs

Hyperphysics - once you get past the 90s web look, you get great information on physics. Here's the chemistry section.

London Bus Routes by Ian Armstrong - every London bus route, with interactive bus blinds.

Wayback Machine - old websites become anew.

Internet Archive - much the same but also includes books and even games.

There are probably more I've forgotten about.

The moral of the story?

Yet again, there isn't one.

Comments

  1. Thank you kindly, and I too am frustrated that I don't have the skills to update a 2004 hand-coded (by another then-blogger) template to modern standards (or to transfer the lot over onto WP), which would then allow the archive to function again. I used to be much better and much more interesting... because I used to have more time and more energy to give to the project, and the early days of blogging were exciting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment