Orders of Magnitude Ago

One day ago (30th September):

Railway tracks

A full school day, as happens 70% of the time. Some more work on capacitance and vectors bookended the day, though I found the chemistry lesson most interesting.

It was the start of the acids and bases topic, so now I know acids are proton donors and bases are proton acceptors. Looking back at my old blogpost on titrations, it's nice to see how far my chemistry has come since then. A few questions later, and I'm confident I know what I'm doing, though the real test will happen in a few months time.

Otherwise, what should have been the simple matter of cancelling an exam has gone a bit awry, so I'll need to make a telephone call today. By the time this post is out, it should have occurred. I now know that a different exam, meanwhile, is to occur with pen and paper, not with a computer - we've never done it like that before, so I'm slightly looking forward to the novelty of it.

Ten days ago (21st September):

Pathway

I won't reveal where I was exactly ten days ago, that's for a future blogpost. However, I did spend a wonderful hour away from London, initially suspecting I'd be in Hampshire though that didn't pan out to be the case. Otherwise, time was spent getting through maths questions, being asked to do another personal statement draft, and not much else (how I'll miss childhood). 

One of my blogposts was suspended, too, though I later wrote a different blogpost about that so you can find out what happened next that same day here.

One hundred days ago (23rd June):

Tennis ball amongst leaves

I played tennis with my family at the local court, though not after realising the court was no longer free to enter, rather you had to make an account and book a slot to be able to bat a ball over a net. However, we eventually managed to enter, and though the rallies never got past the low tens, it was a very enjoyable experience. It took some time to get into the swing of things, but I pulled off some impressive shots, I'd argue.

There was also the small matter of watching the Euros that day. Neither match was all too interesting until injury time - Germany escaped the ignominy of finishing second in their group, whilst Hungary dented Scotland's hopes; how some people cheered. The games had no lasting impact, as none of these teams won the whole thing and one hundred days later, we've forgotten they even happened. 

Otherwise, my mock exams were taking place, with my maths A Level long complete. Only in a few days would I have a chemistry paper, with two physics exams back to back soon after. For the time being, the Euros took precedence, though there was some revision, I wasn't entirely slacking off.

One thousand days ago (5th January 2022):

I was in the midst of the Lord of the Rings, having started the Two Towers a few days earlier. It only took me about a week to get through it, and I'd consider it the best book in the series - more concise than the Fellowship, and perfectly setting up the Return of the King in the process. The year as a whole was defined by reading plently, something I can only wish I got back into doing.

Otherwise, school was back, and obviously they were pressuring us over the GCSEs. My biology could have been better, and I wasn't particularly looking forward to the upcoming history lessons either. The stress later engulfed me needlessly, and looking back on that time it's funny to consider it's now relative archaeology to me. 

I have no other recollections of this day, and the only potential records are in my messages - apparently I had test results which I was waiting for, which ones I'm not sure.

Ten thousand days ago (16th May 1997):

I wasn't alive to experience this day, so I never saw the beginning of Blair's rule and the end of Zaire, amongst other events. Curiously enough, Radiohead releasing a new album is significant in the eyes of Wikipedia to put it amongst its list of 1997 events (and OK Computer came out five days after the 16th, so even then I wouldn't have known it). Blogger wasn't even around at the time, so I wouldn't be able to state my opinions on these events with this blog.

One hundred thousand days ago (17th December 1750):

No, I wasn't alive either. Westminster Bridge was merely a month old, the US wasn't independent yet, and industrialisation was about to truly take off. Possibly simpler times.

One million days ago (about 700 BC):

This is a good place to stop.

Comments