1x10^5

The 100,000th word on my blog is "can" - that milestone was passed on my blogpost on catalysis. After about a year, I have finally reached what I would consider one of the most impressive feats of my life - I've written more words than are in The Hobbit, except there's no plot to this blog and it's far more meandering than even Tolkein managed. 

This is how the word counts have looked per month, up until this point. Both June values are pointless to analyse, even if they account for about 2,500 words:

 

Slowly going up each month, with a massive peak in December - though none of the months are particularly poor looking. It mostly comes down to being very dedicated to the cause, even if the cause doesn't bring all that much attention, not that I mind - the blog never came about to get viewers necessarily.

As a point of comparison, I once decided to write a book, and its word count clocked in at about 22,000 words. To be so far ahead of it at this point is something I can only marvel at. Anyone can get up to 100,000 words, of course, it's not that spectacular, it just so happens I've been writing so regularly (perhaps when I shouldn't have been writing) that I've reached this stage so quickly.

The most obvious question is probably what word I've used the most. It should be "the", and I can only extrapolate from the data as I don't want to go through all 160 posts and count how many times it came up. From my twenty-five most recent posts, "the" has come up over 1,000 times; the most common word that's not an article, "time", appeared fifty-six times in contrast. So there should be almost 6,570 uses of "the" on this blog since records began.

The second most obvious question is what topics have taken up the most words? Yet again, I can only speculate, but at least I have a spreadsheet tallying all the word counts per post. About 21% of all words are science related, which is great because I wanted this blog to be somewhat maths and science orientated. That's the only percentage I'm truly interested in, though, as I'm trying to see it increase further.

Here's to the next 100,000 words, which I should reach in May next year if I'm writing as much as I have been.

Comments